What exactly makes a house feel “homey“? Is it the paint color, or the furniture or what kind of “style” it is? Do blankets and sofa throws with lots of pillows make it homey? Is it a fireplace or just the people in it that make it feel welcome and inviting?
Here are some easy and quick ways to make your house feel like a home, even if it’s a rental home.
- Make sure that your flooring is clean. Whether you have carpet or hard wood – keep it clean and dust free. If you have carpet, give it a good steam cleaning. Steam cleaning your carpet keeps your house free of excessive dander and pollens that can potentially make you and your family sick.
- Make the entry inviting. Put a seasonal wreath on the front door or add a beautiful floral piece on a entry table so that when you enter, you instantly feel as if you have entered “your home”. Place a nice piece of inspirational wall decor near the front door to give you that certain “peace” throughout the day.
- Make sure that you have plenty of “space” in your home. Is your house too cluttered? Are there no empty spaces to do the things you love? Move things around, purge some things and have room to enjoy the things you enjoy doing.
- Invite family and friends over. Having the people that you love around you and in your home is certainly going to make your house a home. Host a shower, or a party or volunteer your home for a church event or volunteer headquarters. The more people you have around, the homier your house will become.
- Venture out into the neighborhood and get to know your neighbors and the surrounding areas. Don’t stay cooped up – go explore and become social!
- Smell is big. Make sure that the smell of your home is inviting and nice. Whether you like wall plug in’s, or candles or simple a bowl of potpourri on a table. Smell is key. If your house smells bad, you won’t enjoy it as much as you would if it were a pleasant smell.
There are many ways that you can make your house feel like a home – just take look at Real Property Management Houston’s Pinterest. We have additional ideas that you can do to assist in a beautiful “homey feeling” home, just in time for the approaching holidays.