Showing Instructions and Move Out Procedures
Your lease agreement authorizes Real Property Management Houston to place on the property a key box containing a key to show the property during the last 30 days of your lease or at any time the Landlord lists the property for sale.
If you cannot be present at the time of showing, we will use our key in the key-box.
A Supra box is a locked container in which a key to the property is placed. The Supra box can only be opened with a special electronic key by a licensed real estate agent, thereby enabling the Real Property Management Houston representatives and cooperating brokers to gain access to the property.
You may withdraw your authorization to allow a Supra box on the Property by providing written notice to Real Property Management Houston and paying the Landlord a fee of 1 month’s rent as consideration for the withdrawal. Real Property Management Houston will remove the Supra box within a reasonable time after receipt of the notice of withdrawal and payment of the required fee. Removal of the Supra box does not alleviate your obligation to make the property available for showings.
Regardless of whether you authorize a Supra box to be placed on the Property the Landlord (see Paragraph #14 of your lease agreement); may show the property at reasonable times to prospective tenants. Tenant understands that failure to allow reasonable showings as well as keeping the Property in “showable condition” during this period constitutes default under the lease, and the security deposit, in its entirety, may be forfeited for this reason.
We use Centralized Showing Service (CSS) to notify you of showings and to record who is showing the property and the approximate time it is scheduled to be shown. Centralized Showing Service (CSS) will give you a courtesy call to inform you of each showing appointment. A courtesy call means that they will give you a call but if they are unable to reach you, the agent will still show the property.
Centralized Showing Service (CSS) will call the phone number that you have on file with our office to notify you of the approximate time the agent will be showing the property. If you would like CSS to contact you at another number, please call us immediately so we can properly notate it in our records.
Centralized Showing Service will also record if you deny or cancel showings.
There is a $60 fee for each denied or canceled showing or property is unable to be accessed for showings. Please do not lock the keyless deadbolt on the front door. If you have a security system, call the office to confirm that we have the correct security code.
The Lease Agreement requires you to secure your pets or remove them from the property if they would interfere or prohibit showings. Tenants will be charged trip charges or even lose their deposit if they prevent or prohibit showings.
If agents are denied access or are not able to access the property because of tenant’s failure to make the property accessible, tenant will be charged a trip charge of $60.00.
Failure to allow reasonable showings during the final 30/60 days of the lease constitutes default of the lease. The security deposit, in its entirety, may be forfeited for this reason.
Please do not allow any prospective residents in your home unless they are accompanied by their real estate agent. Please refer them to the office to see the property.
If you have any questions please call our office at 713/830-1888.
Now that you are moving out, your lease agreement requires that you leave the property in a clean and undamaged condition. Download the Move Out Procedures and Return of Possession Form here.
We have every intention of returning your security deposit, as long as you have fulfilled your agreement with us.
The following information is provided to help you get your security deposit returned without any misunderstandings:
- According to the terms of your lease, Real Property Management Houston has 30 days to return your security deposit. Security deposits will be mailed to the forwarding address left with our office within 30 days after the move-out inspection. Refunds may not be picked up at the office.
- Remember to CLEAN your rental property inside/outside to avoid any charges against your deposit.
- Cooperate with showings of the property for sale or lease, keeping it in a presentable condition
PREPARING FOR MOVE-OUT
- You must provide a complete Forwarding Address through the resident portal.
- All Keys, Garage Door Openers and Gate Remotes, Etc. must be turned in by the expiration date of the lease agreement or pro-rated rent will be charged daily until they are turned in.
Post Office keys: If mailbox keys were originally issued by the Post Office, they should be turned in to the Post Office with a change of address notice.
- We will conduct a final move-out inspection after all furnishings have been removed and all CLEANING accomplished and the keys are turned in to Real Property Management Houston, to document the condition that you leave the property.
We will send out a photographer to do move-out pictures. He/She will not be able to determine what charges will or will not be charged against your security deposit.
The property manager will compare the move-in pictures with the move-out pictures and with your move-in check list and the reports from the maintenance personnel after you move-out to determine if will be are any charges against your security deposit.
We do not do move out inspections with tenants present at the property. Remember the photographer will only take move-out pictures. He/She will not be able to tell you what charges will or will not be charged against your security deposit. They are only there to document the present condition of the property.
- Utilities must be on during the inspection. If the Utilities are not on for the move-out inspection, tenants will be charged a trip charge. Any delays caused by the Utilities not being turned on will delay the return of you security deposit.
- Tenants are not permitted back on the property after vacating.
- Call utility companies and arrange for final readings.
(Remember: Utilities must be left on for the move-out inspection).
The following suggestions & helpful reminders are listed to ensure the maximum return of your security deposit. Also here are some helpful reminders of items that many people overlook or forget upon vacating. Please use this checklist as a guideline.
The condition of the property will be evaluated according to, but not limited to, the following:
- All personal belongings must be removed from the premises.
- PAINTING: Please remove all nails – DO NOT PATCH, SPACKLE OR SPOT PAINT NAIL HOLES, or touch up paint without approval. If you paint and it does not match, or if you do a poor job of filling holes, you will be charged for necessary painting to match the existing paint or to redo spackling.
Charges for painting depend on length of time in the property and whether it exceeds normal wear & tear.
- CARPET CLEANING: Tenants are required to have the carpets PROFESSIONALLY CLEANED at the time of move-out. This must be done after you have completely removed all your belongings and vacated the property. A receipt from a professional carpet cleaning company must be provided to us when you turn in your keys.
DO NOT rent machines from a store or use home cleaning machines. Only professional cleaning is acceptable. Be sure to have any spot treatments or pet treatments done as needed. If any Odors or Pet Odors resurfaces after you have vacated the property you are responsible for charges incurred to remove the odor.
If you hire a carpet cleaner other than the one we recommend, BE SURE the carpet cleaner will guarantee their work to Real Property Management Houston’s standards / satisfaction. If you would like a list of our referrals, please call our office.
If the cleaning is not done to our satisfaction, tenants will be charged for any additional expense.
- Clean vinyl, wood and/or tile flooring. Clean and dust all baseboards.
- Be sure to clean or replace Air Conditioner filters with pleated filters as you vacate the property. HVAC and water heater enclosures should be vacuumed.
- Walls, baseboards and ceiling must be cleaned and free of cobwebs and lint and spot clean walls as necessary.
- Clean fireplace, hearth and mantle, remove ashes and debris. Be sure hot ashes are properly extinguished prior to disposing.
- Clean ALL wall switch plates and outlet covers.
- Clean ALL windows inside and out, clean window sills, mini-blinds and vertical slats thoroughly. Be careful not to bend or damage the slats when cleaning.
- Clean mirrors, window and sliding glass doors with glass cleaner. Also clean window and sliding glass door tracks.
- Clean ceiling fans & light fixtures Replace burned out or missing light bulbs, be sure to use the correct wattage and type. Replace broken globes. Make sure the ceiling fan blades including the top and light kits are clean. Also check the ceiling surrounding all fans. Often dust has gathered by the fans and adheres to the ceiling. One of the easiest ways to clean this is to lightly sweep the ceiling with a broom.
- Smoke alarms must be operative. Replace batteries as necessary.
- Clean ALL closets, storage spaces and shelving free of dust, spider webs and miscellaneous debris.
- Clean Kitchen appliances inside and out, replace burned-out light bulbs:
- Clean oven, stove and under drip pans. If the drip pans and rings on the range are not clean and in like-new condition, it would be more economical for you to replace them yourself, rather than to be charged for them. Foil covering drip pans is not acceptable.
- Clean oven/range hood vent including filter.
- Wash out refrigerator and compartments, including freezer. Don’t forget to wash off the top exterior of the refrigerator and clean the rubber gasket around refrigerator and freezer door. Clean bottom vent.
- Clean dishwasher. Run empty dishwasher one last time. Use the normal amount of soap you would use for a full load. Wipe down the gasket and the door and do the surrounding areas.
- Be sure garbage disposal is clean and free of debris. (Do not use fingers to check) Return/replace sink stoppers.
- All countertops, cabinets and drawers must be cleaned.
- All cabinets must be cleaned – Thoroughly clean and wipe the inside & outside of all cabinets.
- All drawers must be cleaned – Thoroughly clean and wipe the inside of all cabinet drawers and shelves.
- Clean sinks, faucets and countertops – free of stains, scale and rust. Return stoppers to sink.
- Clean counter tops, sink(s), soap dishes, tiles, fixtures, tub and/or showers. Be certain they are free of mold/mildew, soap scum, scale and rust.
- Clean mirrors, light fixtures and medicine cabinets.
- Thoroughly clean and wipe the inside & outside of all cabinets.
- Thoroughly clean and wipe the inside of all cabinet drawers and shelves
- Clean toilets inside and out and remove all lime deposits. Clean toilet seat surfaces, top and bottom.
Do not use scouring power to clean acrylic or fiberglass tubs. It will ruin the finish.
- Lawns must be neatly mowed and edged, trees and shrubs trimmed or pruned, yard watered and all trash and debris removed.
- Any animal droppings are to be picked up and disposed of.
- All trash and garbage must be removed from the premises (including curbside). If you have trash that exceeds the normal pickup, you are to arrange to have it hauled away.
- Replace damaged screens and windows.
- Walkways, driveways, patios and garage floors must be cleaned and free of oil, grease and other debris.
- Repair pet damage and treat for fleas / ticks etc.
- Clean outdoor light globe(s), replace burned out or missing light bulbs.
Our experience has been that after the work and stress of moving out, tenants may be too tired to clean the house. We recommend considering a professional cleaning company.
You are certainly free to choose any company or use our recommended company, please call the office for a list of our referrals.
If you hire a professional cleaning service you should provide them a list of what we expect and oversee and inspect their work.
Please follow the above instructions carefully. If the house does not meet the prerequisites after the inspection, applicable charges will be made with no exceptions.
Tenants are not permitted back on the property after vacating.
Upon leaving, please be sure to fully secure the property by locking all windows and doors. Do not lock the Keyless Deadbolts!!!
We often receive requests from mortgage companies and other landlords wanting a rental verification of a tenant’s rental history. Usually they want this information filled out and returned to them immediately. We are happy to comply; however, we require a $25.00 processing fee in order to cover the costs and time associated in performing this service.
We have compiled a list of average charges. Nothing herein shall be construed as a limitation on agents’ rights to pursue resident for damages not specifically listed hereon:
These are minimum charges and do not include applicable trip charges or labor charges.
POSSIBLE CHARGES TO SECURITY DEPOSIT
General Cleaning Charges:
|Carpet Cleaning||$ 150.00 +||Oven or Stove||$ 75.00 +|
|Vent Hood||$ 35.00 +||Replace range pans||$ 40.00 +|
|Refrigerator||$ 50.00 +||Freezer||$ 20.00 +|
|Counters/Cabinets||$ 5.00 + each||Toilet||$ 30.00 +|
|Drawers/Sinks||$ 5.00 + each||Bathtub||$ 30.00 +|
|Dishwasher||$ 20.00 +||Mirrors||$ 10.00 + each|
|Mini-Blinds||$ 20.00 + each||Windows||$ 10.00 + each|
|Vertical Blinds||$ 35.00 +||Floors||$ 30.00 +|
|Ceiling Fans||$ 25.00 +||Patio||$ 25.00 +|
|Sliding Glass Door||$ 35.00 +||Clean Garage||$ 50.00 +|
|Vent Hood||$ 45.00 +||Trash Out||$450.00|
|Walls||$ 35.00 per wall||Wash Windows/Tracks||$ 20.00 +|
|Clean Fireplace (does not include chimney)||$ 35.00 +|
|Tub Stopper/Drain covers||$ 15.00 +||Blind Wand||$ 5.00 +|
|Drip Pans||$ 45.00 +||Vertical Slats||$ 15.00 +|
|Vertical Blinds||$100.00 +||Light Bulbs||$ 5.00 +|
|Mini Blinds||$ 40.00 +||Specialty Bulbs||$ 15.00 +|
|Light Fixtures||$100.00 +||Screens||$ 35.00 +|
|Door Replacement||$100.00 +||Window||$200.00 +|
|Light Globes||$ 25.00 +||Oven Rack||$ 30.00 +|
|Toilet Seat||$ 40.00 +||Switch Plates||$ 5.00 +|
|Reinstall doors on tracks||$ 30.00 +||Battery for Smoke Alarm||$ 10.00 +|
|Re-Keying when no keys are returned||$ 95.00 +||Replace Smoke Detector||$ 25.00 +|
|Replace closet rod||$ 5.00 +||Replace refrigerator shelf||$ 25.00 +|
|A/C Filter||$ 5.00 +||Door Stops||$ 3.00 +|
|Garage Door Opener||$100.00 +|
Cost and Labor will be charged for:
|Counter Repair||Carpet Replacement|
|Vinyl/Tile Replacement||Drywall Repair / Replacement|
|Painting||Mow and Trim Lawn|
|Trim Trees and Shrubs||Appliances|
|Fence Replacement||Replace Plumbing Fixtures|
These minimum charges are subject to change at any time and without notice.
All Keys and Garage Door Remotes & Gate Remotes, etc must be turned in at the scheduled checkout time. Please be sure to leave keyless deadbolts unlocked.
**If you have any questions, please feel free to call Real Property Management Houston at 713/830-1888.
We hope you have a pleasant move and wish you good luck in your new home.
Please do not plan on receiving your Security Deposit in less than 30 days after fulfilling the terms of your lease agreement.